Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Racism

I knew that it was bound to happen at some point....but it still feels like a sucker punch in the gut. We had our first "encounter" of blatant racism. Our babysitter Lynda is a wonderful lady with 2 grown kids of her own. Her husband is finishing up his degree and is home with the kids during the day alot of times as well. Our best friends twin girls stay with her too. They are just the best, always going above and beyond to help our family. There were a couple of kids who Lynda has been watching a few days here and there recently. Today Lynda explained to me that she will not be watching them anymore as their father decided they would not continue to bring them to a babysitter who was also watching black kids. What......are you kidding me????? I teased with my mom that the kids are in more danger of learning bad habits, etc. from Logan than from the "black" children. But in all seriousness my heart just aches. Helina has the kindest, most generous heart and has so much to offer to those she encounters. What will happen when she and Noah are old enough to understand this stupidity that is racism? These 2 kids (who both LOVED Helina) may very well be the next generation of narrow-minded people because of their parents influence. Racism is LEARNED at the hands of those who have the responsibility of teaching the next generation.

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm sorry Amy. There is just no excuse for stupid. All these kids are so amazing, that I just can't fathom the mere idea of anyone not wanting to get to know them. I know these things are going to happen, but still....I'm shocked.
I'm sending you and the kids all a big hug right now. :)

ellerbee eight said...

Oh Amy. I am so sorry. That's even more blatant than our church children's minister telling everyone that people from foreign countries don't have good hygeiene.That was just ignorance. Your situation is absolute racism at it's worst. I cannot even imagine. I'm afraid of what I would have done. The sad thing is that those children didn't see Noah and Helina as being different; they loved them. But because of an idiot adult (once again) the kids most likely won't retain that viewpoint. I can relate to the sucker punch. All I can say is that I am so sorry, and I hope that as people begin to see and meet our children, many lives will be changed. Hugs and Kisses to you!

Lisa said...

Amy~
I feel sorry for these people who will never be able to experience the richness and beauty that diversity brings to our lives. Pity them and hope that their children will grow up and one day look back on this experience and be ashamed of their parents. Your children are so special and it hurts my heart to hear such a horrible story.

Laurzie said...

Oh dear. That stuff makes me so sad. We've had it happen to us, too, and every time it just knocks the wind out of me. I'm sorry you and your kids (and the other kids, poor babies) had to go through that!

Wendy said...

Ignorance can be very ugly. I'm sorry that this happened. How should we, as parents of children from around the world, respond? Anyone have any good resources? Two of my children are from China and we haven't had too many ugly comments, but they haven't gone to school yet and that will bring new challenges. Anyway, is there a yahoo groups for adoptive families and racisim??

Your children and blog are beautiful!

Barbie said...

I am so sorry. I can not even fathom how ignorant some people are. Just plain stupid. Truly they need the Lord. I am thankful your kids have you to love on them and teach them they are perfect just the way they are.

Rebecca Lily said...

Amy,

My heart is truly broken for you, for your kids (even though they don't realize what happened), for the world we live in. I am truly sorry for these people. They are missing out on 2 of the most beautiful children God ever made. If my heart hurts this much, I'm sure yours does even more. Keep your chin up & entrust all this to Him who judges justly! Let's go to coffee soon.

Love,
Rebecca

Doug and Terrye said...

I stumbled across your blog while "blog-hopping." I'm so sorry for what has happened, I have no words that will make it better...or make it go away. But I do know that in Heaven there will be no racisim!

Terrye in FL

Andrea said...

We just have to teach our children that 'ignorant people say ignorant things'.
Sorry this happened to you and your family.

Rebecca said...

I know we will eventually endure blatant racism at times too. It is truly sad that racism is perpetuated by adults passing on these views to their children. So sorry for your kids. Rebecca S.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that happened. It is unbelievable that there are still people out there with just narrow views of the world. I have not met your kids yet, but I can not imagine someone not falling in love with them at first glance.